P-51 Mustang Diary, page 4
Friday, 26th August, 2011
The serial numbers, codes and national insignia for my P51-D all required accurate masks, and I struck lucky in finding a supplier on the Internet...
Friday, 26th August, 2011
Painting has been the ruin of many an otherwise respectable model, and it is a job I fear. Even done well, it can mask fine...
Wednesday, 24th August, 2011
Around mid-July I finally managed to permanently install the left hand control consol into the cockpit, a job that for many months had been awaiting...
Wednesday, 3rd August, 2011
A question frequently asked by those who have seen my model during its construction is: “where do you buy all the little bits?” - an...
Monday, 30th May, 2011
By early May, and with the tail plane fitted, it came time to fabric cover the rudder, which I was relieved to find had survived...
Saturday, 28th May, 2011
Completion of the wing root fairings has led naturally to the resurrection of the empennage group – tail plane, elevators, fin and rudder – which...
Sunday, 1st May, 2011
There are aspects of human endeavour that appear wilfully to defy resolution. Over the last few months, my model has progressed apace, until, that is,...
Monday, 25th April, 2011
I began this diary in 2009, four years after starting the model. So at this juncture, with the wings and fuselage finally united and the...
Friday, 22nd April, 2011
I turned to the wing root fairings during the second half of March. These comprise of four separate pieces per side. In the real aircraft...
Tuesday, 19th April, 2011
With the instrument panel completed and installed, and while there was still access from below, I could finally start to furnish the cockpit with a...
Stories 31 to 40 of 44
- Retrospective: The flaps
- Retrospective: The elevators
- Retrospective: Rudder framework
- Retrospective: Outer doors
- Retrospective: Main doors
- Retrospective: Wheelbay fittings
- Retrospective: Wheelbay structure
- Retrospective: Wheelbay basics
- Retrospective: More switch panels
- Retrospective: Switch panel detail
- Retrospective: Handles and levers
- Retrospective: Control quadrant
- Retrospective: Cockpit floor
- Departure Day
- Retrospective: Rudder pedals
- Retrospective: Fuselage frames
- Retrospective: Tail wheel strut
- Retrospective: Main landing gear
- Retrospective: The chin scoop
- An end in sight
- The Mustang's tyres
- Canopy framework
- The vac-formed canopy
- VHF and battery packs
- Hamilton Standard airscrew
- The pilot's seat
- Control column assembly
- Retrospective: Auxiliary fuel tank
- Machining the wheels
- Some external stencils
- Stars and bars
- Warpaint - the first coats
- Cockpit update
- Spinning the spinner
- Rudder fabric
- Assembling the fin and tailplane
- Grappling with gremlins
- A pause to look back
- Wing root fairings
- Wings and fuselage united
- Instrument panel complete
- Gun port blisters
- A tipping point
- Welcome to my P-51 diary